Sunday 24 February 2019

Side effects!

When you embark on any kind of medical treatment, you run the risk of suffering side effects. It gets fun when the doctors prescribe you something to counteract the side effects, then you get side effects from that medication, so they give you something for those side effects, which also has side effects etc etc. This happened to me when my first transplant was failing: I went from high blood pressure to diarrhoea via water retention and gout. Good times.

So anyway, I wasn't surprised when I was told that both chemotherapy and radiotherapy have side effects. There are the obvious ones, like sickness and diarrhoea, but there are also some unexpected ones, like a craving for artichokes and a sudden passion for tiddlywinks. OK, I made those ones up. But I was told that the chemo I'm taking can cause soreness on the palms of your hands and soles of your feet.

When I heard this, a subconscious, non-rational part of my brain responded thus: I have never heard of this and it sounds implausible, therefore it definitely won't happen to me.


A few days ago, my feet were hurting. I searched them for non-existent blisters. Had I developed amnesia and forgotten about attending a fire-walking event that went horribly wrong? 

I didn't clock a thing.

It was only when this crevasse opened up on my thumb that I realised the thing that definitely wasn't going to happen to me definitely was happening to me.

Lesion caused by movements in the tectonic hand plates, which are definitely a Thing and not something I just made up


I'd asked one of the radiotherapy staff about managing soreness (albeit in a rather different part of my body) and he'd suggested "double bass". I asked if he meant Diprobase. No, he said, and repeated the name of the recommended cream: double bass.

I've met a double bass. I'm not smearing one of those things up my crack.

My Facebook friends have recommended Diprobase or red-top Neutrogena (ie the full-fat version, as opposed to the semi-skimmed blue-top variety I have in my bedside drawer). So they're on this week's shopping list. 

I shan't bore you by telling you all the side effects I'm experiencing, but I will say this: buy shares in Imodium now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment